The Eight Kneed Beast of Lumber Lore With Fatal Bite and Temper Sore!
Ah, back to one of my favorites, the beasts of lumberjack lore! So the Lufferlang is one of those magical beasts with very few clean visual descriptors. From what I can surmise, it sorta seems its a legend to explain the insane actions of a mean spirited pack mule, but hell that’s mostly just a guess so I’m just jumping into the bullet points as it’ll make more sense that way!
- Hails from the dense woods in North America
- Has an extra set of knees so at any point can run in any direction it chooses
- Has a notoriously bad temperament and capable of a ferocious bite (for unknown reasons, if you receive that bite on July 12th it’s fatal?)
- Has a swiveling tail set squarely in the middle of its back to fend flies off of all four haunches
- Easily identified by the bright blue racing stripe down its back
- Most illustrations I’ve seen in my books, have a somewhat equine noggin, but there are parts of the internet’s campfire stories that swear it has a spider’s head
- They are fond of the color orange but the color green makes it angry
- If attacked, your only true defense is to hold up a mirror, because the only thing a Lufferlang hates more than you… is itself…
#2 is like something straight out of one of my nightmares. I’m half expecting to wake up, and bolt from my bed screaming about horse spiders dropping from my ceiling…The combo of eyes and realistic spider horse jowl fangs is exactly the right combination of terror to make this the winner in my book. Kudos…shiver.
#6 I always love Cate’s beasts, and this Lufferlang was no exception. The charming character, combined with the expressive/gross odd-numbered eyes, came together perfectly with awesome cross-hatching. High marks across the board!
#1 – because it reminds me of the Corey Webster skate deck in Thrashin’
#1 Mostly… there’s no way I’m letting someone draw a drooling ass on spider legs and not get rewarded for it.
And Judge Cody is on vacation
but since he likes butt drawings pretty safe to assume his vote goes for # 1 too!
Disagree if you must but know that judgement is law and to the winner a shirt will go…. Thanks to drawers and judges alike. And even though the contest is done we’ll always welcome new Lufferlang drawings for the archives! So draw on, and remember, 25 beasts drawn earns you a shirt!