Hawaii’s Pint Sized People of Pu’ukapele!
I know any of you who’ve ever been to a tiki bar, have eventually made it far enough into the menu, to have ordered something along the lines of a Menehune Juice, where you find yourself drunkenly gazing at the lil rubber menehune figurine sticking out the top of your drink and then thought “why the hell haven’t we drawn these yet? They are adorable! That Chip is really slipping when it comes to beast drawing opportunities”… then about two or three Dr Phongs or similarly sinister sounding beverages later, your curiosity wanders to more pressing matters like why you are on the floor…
So legend has it, that when the Polynesians first paddled up to the islands of Hawaii, they were already quite built up with dams, aqueducts, ponds and even teeny tiny temples. There was no evidence of full sized current residents, and no one just leaves a partially completed fish pond. So the obvious conclusion was that these expert craftsmen were still there, they were just shy and small enough to hide in all number of tiny nooks in the hillsides. As time went on and mysterious happenings occurred while the new natives slept, The lore of the menehune grew to include all of the following items:
- They are small, somewhere between 2 feet and 6 inches!
- They enjoy dancing, singing, archery and of course, cliff diving!
- Their favorite food is bananas but have been known to enjoys some fish as well!
- Generally described as either being nude but for their knee length hair, or in the more conservative tellings, they are draped in loincloths and wear traditional Polynesian headdresses
- As diminutive beasts tend to be, they are known as trixters, often hiding or moving small objects
- Occasionally given a cupidlike power to change a mans heart from anger to love with a single arrow
- Super afraid of owls!
Our celebrity judge for this beast: Jackelope Coffee & Teas January!
We’ve drawn at Jackalope, we’ve drawn for Jackalope, like half of our old contests have a banner for em at the bottom, but if somehow you are unaware… Jackalope is a coffee & Tea shop in Bridgeport, stocked to the gills with deliciousness a damn fine staff and a list of mythical beast sandwiches that always makes me smile… check em out here…
As for Reasoning, here’s the quote
“I just can’t get over how much this menehune loves that sand dollar! And those eyes…. they’re mesmerizing! Swoon!”
Disagree if you must but know that her judgement is law and to the winner a shirt will go…. And even though the contest is done we’ll always welcome new Menehune drawings for the archives! So draw on and remember, 25 beasts drawn earns you a shirt!